[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Searching for cemetaries

Searching for cemetaries

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Searching for cemetaries

Postby RootSeeker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:01 pm

One of the things I like to do, is visit "old" cemetaries. I am pretty sure I was able to search the landmarks in older versions of the program and find all the cemetaries in an area. I find that I can no longer do that. When I search for them, I get "none found". Have I changed some setting, or something, or is that information just not available in this version of the program?
RootSeeker
New User
New User

Re: Searching for cemetaries

Postby xavier » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm

RootSeeker wrote:One of the things I like to do, is visit "old" cemetaries.

You'll never find them searching like that because you are misspelling the word. It's "cemetery", not "cemetary" :-) I just searched for "cemetary", none found, then searched for "cemetery" and lots of them found. BTW, If you go to the POIs section of this forum, someone has uploaded a user POI file for cemeteries that has a lot more locations that what is built into the program. You can download it and use that file instead.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Good catch, Xavier, if that's it. The OP's statement, "I am pretty sure I was able to search the landmarks in older versions of the program and find all the cemetaries in an area." threw me off, but I'm guessing the unsuredness meant the OP had spelled it correctly back then, but being mispelled here, too, would be the clue.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby RootSeeker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Yup. You know, I thought I was spelling it right all this time, so I never bothered to check the spelling out :-( Thanks for catching it.

I also downloaded the file you suggested and though it took me a while, I was able to put it in the program. You are right, of course, a lot more locations. But the icon that goes with them is way too big, it hides most of the map if there are a doze location or so visible. I wonder if there is a way to change the picture.
RootSeeker
New User
New User

Postby xavier » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:16 am

Yes, you can select a different (smaller) picture to use, if you have one, or you can edit the one that came with it, if you have some graphic editing software. I tried to upload a small bmp file for you but the forum doesn't allow that extension, sorry :-(
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm

There are only two types of file extensions allowed by the software for POI icons. First, there's BMPs which are not proportional, and can cause the problem you are describing since the icon stays the same size no matter what zoom scale you are using. Since the BMP stays the same size and you are zooming out, this just causes more icons to show up and they stay the same size and cover more of the map. The other extension is .UPI files, but I've not had much success finding a free editor for creating/editing these. I believe these are more proportional when zooming in or out of a map and would be a better option, but getting one created can be difficult. Hopefully someone out there can recommend something.

Seems like Xavier might have created a smaller version of the BMP icon to use with the cemetery file, but I'm not sure why he can't upload it. Otherwise, you can edit it yourself to try and make it smaller using Windows Paint, but you should be comfortable with doing this to prevent fouling things up.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Ruby22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:15 am

Don't know about the UPI format. But, I think BMPs are not allowed on this board because BMPs can contain bad code, or something. *Xavier*, you can zip the file and upload it. I'm pretty sure the board allows zip files.
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby xavier » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:51 am

Ruby22, are you making things up? :-) Seriously, I don't think it is a bad code issue. It's probably because BMPs are much larger in size, since they are not compressed. I am not a programmer, or anything, but I seem to recall reading something like that.
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Ruby22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Xavier, you may be right, I don't know. But, in reading up on it on a number of forums (some of them addressing specifically, "why no BMPs allowed on some forums"), here is what I have seen (many times):

The bmp content type is not intended for the web and causes problematic behavior. If served with the unofficial content type image/bmp, some versions of internet explorer will treat it as text/html, causing a XSS vulnerability. If served as image/x-xbitmap -- the correct type -- browsers will open it in a new window. Generally, the use of bmps should be discouraged for security reasons.
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby xavier » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 pm

Ok, I was not aware that bmp files could contain malicious code.
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013